Friday, April 1, 2011

American Idol

I don't like American Idol. I have never watched it. I couldn't tell you any winners except Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson and David Cook (and that's only because David Archuleta was on that season and I live in Utah). However, this season Bryan and I were in Vegas and Bryan's parents are avid watchers. Needless to say after watching one episode (without commercials, thank goodness) I was at least a little interested in the outcome of this season. And I usually have some time at work to watch some recaps on Youtube. That being said, these are my feelings:

Ashthon. Attitude. Hated it. Enough said. Glad she was voted off first.

Karen. I know she is Hispanic, but that doesn't mean every dang song should be both in Spanish and English just because the judges said they liked in on ONE song. Good thing she's already off too.

Naima should never have gotten into the top 12, let alone 13. The judges kept saying she's "pitchy" and I would add just out of tune generally. Thank goodness she went home this week.

Thia. I didn't really have an opinion. She was cute and good, but I can't remember a single one of her performances, so obviously forgettable.

Jacob. I know everyone loves him, but I can't see it. I think he sounds like a low-pitched woman instead of a man with all that vibrato. Really? And to me it sounds a little airy and nasally. When he opens up and really gets some power going, than I can see why people like him, and he is in general a good singer (in tune, etc), but seriously, I can barely stand to sit through one song of his. Number one, something just rubs me wrong about his voice, number two, stop with the fake crying. No one really cares.

Paul. I find him interesting. I can't decided if I love his voice or the fact that he looks like Bradley Cooper. Still, I love the suit and if I voted, I would vote for him--at least some of the time.

Stefano. See Thia's description. Plus we already have Bruno Mars, we don't need another.

Pia. PLEASE sing something other than a ballad. Celine Dion can beat you any day anyway.

Haley. Egh. Don't hate her, don't love her. But she should probably go home next week--if it were up to me.

James. People have compared him to Adam Lambert. Well, if I knew what he sounded like I could give my opinion. I don't personally love James' style, but he puts on a good show, despite his crooked teeth, and that matters I guess. I think he should probably make it to the top 4.

Casey. Should they have saved him? I don't know. Well, yes I do. He definitely should beat Naima and some other people, but I wouldn't say that I like him for the next American Idol.

Scotty. He makes me melt!! I love country, so that probably already makes my opinion void to most people, but seriously, when he hits those low notes I'm like butter on a hot skillet in Texas. How can you not love it? And yes he only sings country, but I would say it's a lot harder to sing like that than most people want to let on. I tried it once and it wasn't good. Everyone can sing like Pia or Casey, but not like Scotty. Yeah. I would have him win, but I don't think he'll make it. Hopefully top 2. He better get a dang contract from a country producer though.

Lauren. I think I want her to win. She always does well and she seems genuine, which I like. Plus did you hear her and Scotty's duet yesterday. WOW! Yeah, they are my two favorites. I never thought I would like two 16 year olds, but hey, they rock it.

So yeah, I usually don't care, but I guess I disliked so many contestants this year that I have stronger opinions than normal. But basically I blame this all on Mom and Dad Stiles. Thank you for ruining my perfect record of apathy towards American Idol.

2 comments:

Sarah Stiles said...

We stopped watching AI several years ago when Taylor Hicks won. Really, really stupid. The show was rigged, and we had had enough.

However, I am a HUGE fan of Dancing with the Stars. Call it my guilty pleasure, if you will:-)

Mary Richardson said...

You are so cute Laurel! I am just the same way as you, I can only name those winners too. I haven't watched it at all this year but I kind of want to because I'm curious how these judges are. Steven Tyler seems like a wacko! I kind of miss Simon too :)