Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mansfield Park

Today while at work I finally finished Mansfield Park. Larissa, you were right, the movie in no way represents the book, but then again, how often do they. I realized something about myself while reading this book. While in class one day a girl sitting next to me asked me if I liked the book. I, of course, answered in the affirmative and then she asked me why. She was curious to find out because she had just bought a couple of Jane Austen books and was eager to find out about them. When I reflected on this question later, I came to find that I enjoy reading about the character's feelings. I like reading about how their minds work and why they feel certain ways. I found that I could care less what the actual plot is about, as long as the characters are strong and interesting. My favorite parts were the long paragraphs about the character's reflections and perspectives of how other characters change throughout the book. So I guess that what I really like is perspectives, seeing how everyone views everyone else. I mean, if you just read Mansfield Park for no reason, I am sure that you would consider it boring, I mean little actually happens in the book, but if you read it for the emotional impact, it is amazing. This is probably why I love Austen so much, she wrote about relationships between people doing everyday things, nothing extraordinary. (I feel like I am having some type of revelation, and I am sure most people already know this and think I am a little slow on the uptake, but for me this is a big deal!) Basically I love reading more then ever and I am now starting on Sense and Sensibility!

For other news, I found myself a dance partner for Open-Standard Ballroom for Dancesport. I was unable to take any classes in Standard (waltz, tango, quickstep, foxtrot) this semester, so this is exciting for me. It does mean a lot of outside practicing, but to me it is definitely worth it. For those who don't know, Open competition means that I am NOT competing against my class, but other people from across the U.S., but on my level. There are 3 levels, novice, pre-champ and amateur and I would be dancing in novice (possibly pre-champ, there isn't that much difference). The best part is that I might even get to wear one of those sparkly dresses like in the movies. It's pretty cool if I say so myself. I will try to get some pictures or maybe even a video if possible.

Other then that my life keeps trucking on with school, work and some friends. It's all going really well and I am enjoying myself, so everything is great!

No comments: