Monday, June 28, 2010

Utah Summer Games!

So like I said, my life consisted of a lot of frisbee now---and does it! This weekend I went with Bryan to the Utah Summer Games hosted by SUU in Cedar City. It was so much fun!! Who knew frisbee could be so intense. For most of the games I was on the edge of my seat or standing because I couldn't sit still because the games were so close. This was probably the most competive year yet they say. But I'm getting ahead of myself---let me start from the beginning.

Thursday night we rode in a van with some other people from BYU who were going to be playing. They are some of the coolest guys I've ever met. We played games, watched a movie, and chatted all the way down. I have to admit that I thought it would be a little weird or uncomfortable coming as "the girlfriend," but these guys were great and I never felt like I was unwelcomed or in the way. We got there pretty late in the day since we didn't leave until past 8, so we crashed in our hotel rooms. (And don't worry, I had my own room with some other girls.)

The next day started bright and early. We had to be down to the fields at 8, which may not seem early seems that's when we go to work anyway, but there's just something else about it when you feel like you're supposed to be on vacation. Still, the boys played four games that day until 2 in the afternoon. Let's just say that I now will have a great tan after the burn goes away. It was a windy day so it didn't feel that hot. But the team won 2 games, lost 2. Apparently it didn't matter that much because the first day it just to see where your seed will be in the rankings. The real games start the next day. So after being exhausted after 4 games we all head back to the hotel for some pizza (apparently that's what they always want after a long day). We played some games, watched part of a movie, got a second dinner, but mostly everyone just wanted to sleep.

The next day started even earlier. We had to be to the fields at 7:15! Good thing I don't actually do any of the playing. I thought the team would just be more tired, but apparently they just need a day to warm-up. They ran harder, played better and were more intense than I thought possible. So much so that they won their first 2 games and got a 3 hour break. Some of the SUU players were really nice and let us use a room in their Student Center to watch the USA-Ghana game. Too bad that game didn't end well. After that we had the most intense game of the entire weekend---for any team. It's funny, everyone called Bryan's team the BYU A-Team. I don't know if that's completely true, but I'm biased enough to agree with them. (BYU brought 3 teams with them.) It was against the SUU Alumni team. In a lot of ways I think BYU could have won, but it was a close call of 13-15. That made BYU have to play a Salt Lake team that they lost to, 12-13. In the end we got 3rd place. They played so well and so hard that we are proud of what they did and I'm proud of them too.

Once the medals were given it was past 5 that evening, everyone is even MORE tired and we still had to drive back to Provo. We stopped at the funniest little Chinese restaurant in Beaver. I don't think I seen guys drink so much in my life. But they deserved it. Overall, it was a great weekend and I can't wait for the next tourney!

At the very end. My camera wasn't worth trying to take pictures of the actual game.

On the medal podium! Yay!

Bryan's Team---the KillJoys

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Like you said I never knew frisbee could be so intense. LOL! Happy to see you are having such a good time. Oh! And glad you had another room with the girls. Larissa will be so proud.

therams said...

Har Har korina... Wow since you've dated Bryan, this is the most I've ever seen you blog... Life more interesting perhaps?