Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fourth of July

Oh, where to start! It has been such a great long weekend, and yet so short at the same time. I hate how it always feels that way. But now it is time to make you all extremely jealous of all the fun things Bryan and I do.

Friday night:

Nothing starts a fun-filled, fatty weekend like Five Guys Burger and Fries. (Okay, everyone has to admit that is some darn good alliteration.) We wanted to see a movie, but in the end decided against it. I guess we were forced into it seems all the movies we wanted to see were sold out or didn't start until after 9:30---and we weren't willing to wait. We went star gazing instead.

We went up into the mountains, away from all the lights, and looked up at the endless sky. Now I really wish I knew more about the constellations. I had no idea what I was looking at. But nothing starts a good gospel discussion on man and godhood like looking up.

I think the best part was being stalked by a mountain lion. (At least that's the story we're telling!) When we were getting ready to leave we heard this slow creeping sound coming from the tall grass right in front of us, but it was so dark we couldn't see anything. I was a little freaked and we high-tailed it out of there! I'm sure it was just a skunk or something, but a mountain lion just sounds so much better.

Saturday:

In the morning I did laundry---which sadly really needed to be done. But come the afternoon and it was time to see Eclipse. Poor Bryan! He had no interest in it at all, but nothing says "I love you" like sitting through an entire Twilight movie with your girlfriend and her roommates and not saying a thing. He's so good to me. I know there were lots of times he wanted to make comments, but he kept them in, letting the rest of us enjoy it. I have to say though, I'm starting to agree with him. The more Twilight movies I see, the more ridiculous I find the whole thing. No offense intended.

After that it was time for the big kahuna! (Interestingly kahuna is a Hawaiian word for socerer or magician and I would consider firework displays to be in that category.) It was STADIUM OF FIRE!! I have always wanted to go, so of course Bryan got us tickets. It was a lot of fun and I absolutely love fireworks!

These are the little SoF dancers. I'm sure they were really excited.

The SoF choir (didn't know there was such a thing) and Lou Diamond Philips. He was way more express then I would have thought him to be.

Jenny Oaks Baker fiddling away. I always like listening to her, she's amazing.

The Osmonds Second Generation. They were okay, but I feel like they are living off the coattails of their parents. Yeah, so you're an Osmond, so what?

Entertainer of the Night---Carrie Underwood
Poor girl---they really needed to turn down the instruments. We could barely hear her sing and she was belting it. No wonder she has to keep drink so much water. Plus there was some mic feedback. I feel like that shouldn't happen with Carrie Underwood. Who is she paying to do that?

My favorite part!

I don't think I've ever seen fireworks like this before.


This was the first year that they had fireworks in the crowd too. There were 6 of them around the field that were supposed to look like the fountain ones. Well, the craziest part was that one messed up and flew straight into the crowd and exploded there! Another one flew at an angle and hit the little dancer girls, suprisingly they didn't even move. Only some people had minor burns, but it sure looked crazy! And the smoke made the stadium look like it was in a heavy fog. I don't think they'll do those again next year. Overall though---great experience.

Sunday:

Nap time. After church of course. But the last two days were tiring and church is at 8:30! I need my 8 hours. Before that glorious nap time, however, it was time for me to experience "Man Lunch." Apparently Bryan has been doing this with some old roommates for almost 2 years. Basically, the guys get together and have steak and potatoes and a veggie---a man lunch. I thought the name came from the fact that they are all guys, but I was greatly mistaken, it is only because of what they eat. Therefore, I got to come. One girl, 4 guys, and a really great steak lunch. Let's just say I hope Bryan keeps having these---as long as I'm invited!

Then nap time. :) Dinner at his uncles. And Stardust to finish the night. Luckily that movie isn't too chick flicky.

Monday:

I wanted to see the parade. I always do. I really feel like a part of the community when I go. There are hundreds or thousands of people there. I don't think any other city has this kind of turn out for a parade other than the Macy's or Rose. I'm sure Bryan wanted to sleep in, but he got up to watch it with me. Then we went with my roommates to the Freedom Days festival on Center Street. I actually didn't buy anything. That's a first for me. But then I thought about it and realized there was nothing left for me to buy. I have Native America turquoise, a dream catcher bracelet, a coconut ring, an Indian bag, a toe ring, a shirt, rock jewelry, sunglasses---all from festivals. What else was there to get? (It's almost pathetic.)

After that....more nap time. The sun sure drains it out of you. Later we went on a drive up the canyon. We went up Squaw Peak Road. I know what you're thinking, but we just wanted to see what it was like. But I'm not sure we ever found it. We found the outlook and Rock Canyon campgrounds, but nothing that was actually Squaw Peak. Anyone know what it's supposed to be? I really don't know what all the hype is.

Later Em and I went to see our old roommates new baby. He's so cute! And after that it was back to Bryan with a hot fudge brownie sundae made with custard and Independence Day. It's tradition. I love Fourth of July and 3 day weekends!

Tuesday:

And now here I am. Back at work waiting for the weekend once again.

No comments: