Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick or Treat!

Happy Halloween!!

I love Halloween. It is one of my favorite holidays. I love dressing up and throwing parties and eating candy and it is what I consider to be the beginning of the "holiday season." Hence, it has a lot of good things going for it. This year, much like last year, I decided to through a Halloween movie night. I was debating it for a while since there is always that worry that people won't show up and the process of actually getting everything together, but Korina convinced me that I should and I knew that at least her and Nathan would be there.

So, I'm big into the decorating thing. I love having that "feel" to a place when it is decorated for a holiday. And I kept seeing all these cute ideas in Country Living, Home and Garden and Martha Stewart magazines. Anyway, here was my attempt at chic Halloween with an Edgar Allen Poe feel.
Notice the skull, apothecary jars, tattered book, candles.....yeah, I'm good.
And the raven.
Then our fireplace with black candles and stacks of books, shredded cheese cloth and leaves to finish it off.
I think the overall affect is quite good. What do you think?
Everyone looked so good for the party! I truly thought that Bryan and I would be the only ones dressed up, but everyone showed up in mourning! I loved it!! We watched Hocus Pocus and everyone had a really great time. I know....they told me. And we even had butternut squash soup from a pumpkin and rootbeer from a dry ice cauldron.

Can you guess WHO Bryan is? And that is totally a hint.
Does this help?
Okay, does THIS help? No....Well, he is totally Doctor Who. If you don't watch it. Start. Enough said.
This is not the costume I wore for the party, but to our ward party the next night. I call it Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. You can't really see the deadly makeup. At the party it was similar because of the hat, but I was a dead horseback rider with my khaki pants, riding boots, frilly collared shirt with a black riding jacket and crazy eyes.
Here, I wore it to work today too. This is what I was for the party.
Once again, Martha was my inspiration.
Anyways, it was a great weekend. We had a blast. Maybe I will get the energy to do a Thanksgiving party, but with Matt's wedding, I doubt I'll get to it. Plus Bryan and I need to recuperate. My parties always take a lot out of you. Just ask Emily.

1 comment:

Emily Hodgen said...

shut UP! that looks amazing! you guys are so cute I just love it! And Pride and Prejudice and Zombies...such a great idea. love love love. And yes, your parties require at least a 3 month recovery period. They are just that good. :)