Saturday, April 18, 2015

Revitalizing Vintage

I have finally (after 2 years) refinished this vintage vanity from Bryan's great-grandparents who purchased it brand-spanking new in the 1920's. At least that what I think I was told. It's been awhile. The point is that after many days, lots of work, and more money than I thought, it is now finished and sitting in our bedroom. It's the first piece of furniture to go in there since our bed--which means our bedroom is pretty sparse. But without further ado I bring you the transformation!
Before of the front
After our last attempt at redoing furniture (see red rocking chair in Everly's nursery pics) where we hand sanded the entire thing WITHOUT stripping it first, I decided to strip it and got a power sander to make that part easier too. It all saved so much time! I will never NOT use these tools again!

One of the best parts was taking off all the layers of fabric on the bench. I got to travel through time and see some of the style from time gone by.

This is what I started with. Small medallions of a greenish color.
Tiny blue polka dots. Plus is was really stained and kind of gross.
The ORIGINAL!!
I actually really liked the original, but it was faded and smelled like an old barn. I'd barely tap it and a cloud of dust would explode from it. It was really cool to also see the tiny handmade nails that they used. No spray adhesive and staple guns for them.

And like I said, after layers of stain and poly, I present my new old vanity!
Beautiful! Isn't it?!?
I stained it a red mahogany to somewhat match our bed although this is obviously not as dark as it. However, it is a little darker than these pictures imply. But my absolute favorite part is the bench!! I made it extra cushy-looking with a 3" foam pad and then batting. It is also a faux leather vinyl so that it Everly (or me--let's be honest) spill any makeup or make any marks on it, it will wipe off.
It's so amazing!
It is so great! I'm proud of myself--if I do say so myself. Which I do. So now instead of a golden oak vanity that I only liked because it was made of real wood and was a family heirloom, I now have a piece that I actually want to use and keep in my own room--even if it is a little on the short side.

No comments: