Sunday, April 5, 2015

Springtime

Recently I have been going through some kind of "I-need-to-do-something-with-my-day" crisis. Well....other than taking care of Everly and the general housekeeping stuff. So of course my first stop is Pinterest. I have always been drawn to the pins about making furniture - like the Ana White website. Plus, it is usually cheaper than buying.

My focus has been the front porch. We have this big three column overhang that I thought was a little overbearing in size and underwhelming in color. And so I decided that I would build some planters. I wanted something big and colorful so that if would draw attention. I mean, it is gardening so why not add some color. Thankfully we already had a circular saw and all I needed was the wood and a Kreg Jig.

Behold the before:
Look at that fence. Ew.
Well, after two days of work (that I only get to do when Everly is napping) I present our new front porch.

The hardest part actually was finding the flowers. Our house faces north and with the second story the front lawn is in the shade practically all day so I needed plants that like the shade, but I also wanted color. So if anyone has some pointers on other plants that like the shade, please pass on the knowledge. And yes we know that our yawn is just weeds. The owners before us didn't take the greatest care of the lawn and we are slowly but surely taking care of it. We just need a super weed killer with a super grass grower because there is no grass--like literally.
Isn't is just so pretty!
Next up. I plan on making some knockoff Adirondack chairs and paint them yellow. Then, I have my eye on this large, beautiful, pink azalea bush that I hope to put in a big purple pot. After that I hope to make an actual garden with some pavers that go around the tree and along the front. And lastly since absolutely NOTHING grows on the side of our house I want to put a paver path there that leads to the backyard. Oh, so many plans, so little time.....and money. But here is my sketch that I did a few weeks ago. I think it's coming along nicely.
Please forgive Everly's marker on the back.
So far I think it looks pretty close to what I sketched.

And let's not forget that it is Easter! We stayed home and had Everly hunt in our front yard. Isn't she the cutest!



Happy Easter and Spring to everyone! We'll see you real soon!

1 comment:

Korina Moon said...

Wow! The planters look great! You did an Awesome job!