Thursday, December 6, 2012

25 Days of Christmas

This year I thought it would be fun to do a kind of advent calendar with activities for Christmas. I don't have the actual physical calendar, but I do have a list of things to do to celebrate the season. I guess it's kind of a bucket list for Christmas. Of course, if it doesn't snow anytime soon I may have to think up some other activities. :(

Day 1: Deck the Halls
Our beautiful Christmas tree done in silver and gold, just like the song. I am looking into getting a second tree  for a more traditional feel with multicolored lights and blown glass ornaments that represent our family. Plus I know our kids will make those childish ornaments and I'm going to need someplace to put them, because they sure aren't going on this one. Does that already make me a bad parent?

Day 2: Oh fuuuuudddddggggggeeeee! (That's totally a quote from A Christmas Story if you didn't get it.)
Mom's secret recipe. I've never had fudge that tastes as good as hers and it's totally not one of those "it's because I grew up with it" type of things. Seriously, I'm being objective here. None are as smooth and moist as Momma's.
 Waiting for it to boil.
 Even Bryan likes to help.
 Yummy goodness!
The finished product! A ginormous pan of fudge that we in no way can eat ourselves. Luckily we have been able to give some away too. People seem to really like it. On a side note, I also didn't realize how expensive fudge is to make. Chocolate bars for $4.40 each. Wow. Still, so worth it!

Day 3: TimTam Slams
If you haven't had one of these, go to the store and find some. Make yourself some hot cocoa and do the following: bite off opposite corners (like kitty-corners) of the TimTam--make sure they aren't too large of bites; stick one tip in the hot cocoa; suck up hot cocoa like through a straw; the TimTam will melt like butter; stuff the WHOLE thing in your mouth; enjoy your first TimTam Slam! Oh yeah.
You can usually eat about 2 of these and then you're finished--they are that sweet. Still, a great tradition to have around for Christmas I think.

Day 4: Game Night
Bryan and I are trying to be better in this ward about making friends. So this past Sunday Bryan sat down next to 2 random guys in Priesthood and asked them to come over for game night on Tuesday. One of them ended up having a study group that night, but the other couple came. We had such a blast! We played Settlers of Catan. It was my first time. And I totally creamed everyone! Wah-ha-ha-ha-ha! Actually I'm sure it was just beginner's luck. Still, it was really nice getting to know someone and we are already planning on getting together again.

Day 5: Work Christmas Party
I don't have any pictures from last night, but there wasn't anything to take a picture of. It was my work "gala" as they like to call it. And when I say "work" party, I don't mean just Dining Services, but our whole division of Student Auxiliary Services. Like 600+ people show up. It's big. Dinner is always really nice although a little awkward since you sometimes end up sitting with people from another division that you've never met. Still, Bryan and I enjoy the food (especially since we don't have to cook) and the dessert is always the best.

Anyway, 5 days down, 20 more to go! Merry Christmas!!

No comments: