Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Move

I'm gonna be on a role for a while. So much really has happened that I just have to blog about it. Plus it makes me feel like I actually have a life. And it makes me feel like I'm at least keeping a journal in some small way. Anyway, most everyone should know that we moved. With baby #1 coming we thought it was about time to upgrade to something a little bigger than a one room apartment--especially one where I'm not sure where the crib would fit. So we started looking (somewhat half-heartedly) because we thought we had plenty of time to move. Looking back I'm glad we did it sooner rather than later. I can't imagine moving at 8 month pregnant (I'm not like my mother) or moving with an infant. But a place popped up that we saw and liked. We threw in an application thinking that we wouldn't get it, but something must have been right for us, because out of all the applications they chose us. Bryan was a little shell-shocked at first I think because he really didn't expect it to happen so soon, but we signed the contract and moved full steam ahead.

We thought we were so lucky to be moving in early November because the weather was really nice and we thought we could move so easily. Moving day arrived and what did we see......
And this was after one of our nice neighbors woke up at 7am (we were awake too) and shoveled all the sidewalks in the neighborhood. Luckily he had one of those powered ones. All I can say is that it was pretty. Nice clean snow before it gets all gunky from mud.

Well, we knew we had work to do and Matt, Johnny, Nathan and Korina were coming over at 9am to help. So shoveling away we went.
 You can barely even notice Bryan's car.
Oh look! There IS a car under there!

We went for some breakfast and picked up "the help" and started loading the moving truck that our landlords acquired (they are bail bondsmen and they got it as collateral). With the help of everyone it didn't take too long--although I'm sure they'd disagree. We turned on the engine and waved goodbye to our first home together. We lived there for a little over 2 years.
I could have taken a picture of the gigantic mess that was our new apartment. But it was depressing and I'd rather forget about that whole fact of moving. Fairly quickly, however, we got everything put in it's new place and started making our new apartment a home. We knew that we were going to need some kind of storage because our old place had those great built-in shelves in the main room and this place was nice a.....bare. We decided to walk around IKEA to see what we could find because you can always find something you want to buy at IKEA. While walking through we spotted an entertainment center that we both loved and was actually a surprisingly good deal. Of course the catch is that you have to build it yourself.

After some heartache (I think we had to go to IKEA at least 4 times to get everything because sometimes we forgot something and sometimes IKEA was out of stock) we got it all together. Well.....Bryan got it all together. He is such a trooper. He let me go to see a movie with my old roommate Emily while he did most of the hard work. But after everything he has this to show for himself.
Click on the picture for a larger image.
Isn't it beautiful!! And all decked out for Christmas. If you want to see more of the apartment, well, I guess you are just going to have to come and visit. We do have a spare room now....

No comments: